Tell me about the Basel Childbirth Trust
The Basel Childbirth Trust offers information and support for pregnancy, birth and parenthood to enable all parents to make informed choices. We are a voluntary, nonprofit organization open to all nationalities.The Basel Childbirth Trust started with 29 founding members in 1992 as a support group for English-speaking parents and parents-to-be. We have grown to more than 100 families. We are a “nonprofit” volunteer organization aiming to help families new to Basel, as well as to those already established here, face the transition to life with children.
- information and support in pregnancy
- childbirth and early parenthood assistance
- breastfeeding advice
- monthly newsletter
- evening talks
- opportunities to meet other parents in your area
- organized activities
The Basel Childbirth Trust is not affiliated with the National Childbirth Trust based in England, though we do have some of the same aims. We also make use of their training and certification programs for our counselors. We are an organization with no religious affiliations and consider ourselves to be a support group. Having a child is always an exciting experience, but it can be challenging and even overwhelming at times, especially in a foreign environment far from family and friends.
The Basel Childbirth Trust is here to offer to all parents, babies and children a warm welcome, friendly encouragement and genuine support as we go through this adventure together.
Membership is open to all and entitles you to:
- a monthly information packed Newsletter
- regular neighbourhood and regional social events
- a library of books relating to childbearing and child raising
- information on maternity services available in the Basel area
- a program of evening talks by professionals such as paediatricians
The membership fee is CHF 60.- for the first year and CHF 50.- for each year of renewal. For additional membership information, please contact one of our Membership Secretaries:
Emma Sharpe +41 61 721 98 81
Michelle Cornish +41 61 751 88 62